Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Midweek Miscellany

Last month I was able to do some extra work to help raise funds. One of the jobs I did, (being an extra in a car commercial) I was paid on the spot for, but for the other (house managing,) I was mailed a check. I knew the check was supposed to be sent out sometime at the beginning of July, but I hadn't seen it yet. Since I have moved I was a bit concerned that it might have been lost in transit. So yesterday I contacted Shelly, the theatre manager, who sent me a form so I could have the check stopped and reissued... except that because they sent it to the correct address, it would cost me $20. I decided to wait a few more days to see if the post office would find me. Sure enough, last night I got home and there it was sitting in my mailbox. Hooray! That helped bump up my monthly goal, which I am glad of because I am looking a little light on income right now. I have a bunch more things to sell on eBay, so it looks like I had better be busy getting those posted.

Speaking of income, I have started work on cleaning out the extra garage stall. My garage has three stalls. Two are one unit with one door, but the third has a separate locking door. I am hoping to rent it out. It would be perfect storage space for someone with an antique car or a boat. It is going to take me a little while to do since there is a lot of miscellaneous junk in there right now - some of which is going to have to go to the dump, but I should have it ready to go by fall. This weekend I unscrewed some tool racks that were in there and rehung them in the 2 stall. Then I organized all my lawn equipment (shovels and what not) on them. It looks really nice. The next step will be sorting through all the assorted planting pots I have.

As another part of settling in, I am slowly changing my address on all my bills. I pay everything electronically, but the statements were still being mailed to my old address. As each one comes in I am evaluating whether I really even need my paper statements. In most cases, I don't. So, I am switching things over to email - it saves me a stamp to mail them the correct address and it saves in paper which is good for the environment! (By this method I saved myself $.84 today, and as we all know - out of pennies, dollars are made.)

One more quick thing on savings - recently I wrote about reevaluating my insurance - auto, home and life. Financial Ramblings has a neat article about car insurance and how the discounts are broken down. I found it interesting reading. Check it out if you get a chance.



No comments: