Friday, May 30, 2008

Well, I Didn't Fall!

I took the bike out for a spin last night. I didn't fall - though I was a bit wobbly here and there. I had all the "classical" bike things happen to me though - I got chased by a dog (fortunately little Dexter was on a leash), I swallowed a bug, and a couple of nine year old boys in dirt bikes stared at me like I was a Martian. Though come to think of it - they were nine year old boys, they might have just started anyway. I wanted to say to them, "Yes son, this is what bikes looked like before you were born - back in the grand old 80's when hair was big and and everyone wore eyeliner - including your father."

I rode for about 30 minutes before I had to call it a night. I was very quickly reminded that these were muscles I hadn't used in over 18 years. Not to mention other tender places that hadn't sat on one of those great 10 speed seats in many a year. (Ahem.) Still, I think it will be good. I'm going to try to ride every day I can, just so I can get back into shape. I also have to try to remember what all those gears are for... as I say, it has been a long time.

In other fantastic money saving news - it rained today!! This is good because I park directly under trees at my apartment. The combined yellow dusty pollen and bird doo (I swear they aim for the big black thing underneath them) has left my car looking like a cast iron skillet full of scrambled eggs. Eeeeewww. The rain has washed it all away. Since I am not getting car washes anymore I was rather pleased to see the rainclouds this morning!

Other good things on the horizon - my gardener pal Kate offered me some free plants. Yay! I am going to try to grab them this weekend and take them up north with me. Free plants are awesome, and hopefully will help me make the cottage look a little more landscaped.



No comments: