Thursday, May 29, 2008

They Say You Never Forget How To Ride a Bike

...but they don't say how long it takes you to remember!

I bought my bike at the flea market for $7. Cost of repairs was $60. So, my total for my retro-recycled bike was under $70, but it is all wasted if I don't use it. Incidentally, I haven't been on a bike in 18 years.

I picked up my bike yesterday. It looks good. I don't think he washed it, but it looks like it has less grime - maybe some of the cobwebs came off on his shirt. It will do me absolutely no good to have had it fixed however if it just sits there gathering up dust again. To make this a wise investment, I have to get back in the saddle.

I thought about riding down to meet the girls for cocktails last night, then decided that was foolish. Instead I brought clothes to change into to work, and after I get out of the office I am going to throw on my jeans and a t shirt and try this out! I work in a nice quiet office complex - the perfect place for a wobbly biker.

I'll be sure and write how it turns out!

2 comments:

PFIncome said...

I am considering riding my bike to work now with the cost of gas almost to $4.00 for the cheap stuff where I live. It is 14 miles to work which wouldn't be a problem to make that ride. The problem is that the rodes on the way to work are very narrow and dangerous. I just can't make the decision to start riding as I am fearing for my life.

Dawn said...

I have a similar problem. It isn't really that far for me to go to work - but a lot of the areas don't have sidewalks and there are some incredibly steep hills. My poor bike riding skills aren't up to the hills and I am not sure I am brave enough to tackle the roads without sidewalks. I'll keep watching your blog to see what you decide!