Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Upromise - Getting Money for School

Yesterday I wrote about how I often pick up tips from fellow bloggers. It happened again today. J. Money over at Budgets are Sexy had a post about Upromise. Are you guys familiar with this? Because I sure wasn't. I think I had heard it mentioned a time or two, but I had no idea what it was about. Basically, the idea is that when you make purchases they credit your account for college classes or student loans. You can get money through registering credit cards for dining, grocery store cards or shopping online. I also found that you can get money by completing surveys. J. Money has a good breakdown of the pros and cons over on his site, so if you are interested, check it out.

Although poor J. doesn't seem to be having a lot of success with it, I thought I would check it out. I do have plans to return to school for my Masters Degree in a few years, so anything I can do towards that goal is a good thing. Especially if it is free!

While on the site I found something that simultaneously made me happy and made me cringe...

Several of my favorite (and most frequented) bars and restaurants are on the list and some of them pay up to 8% back!! Upromise has been around for a long, long time - do you have any idea how much money I could have been putting aside? I think of all those pints of beer, glasses of wine and dishes of potato nachos (you didn't think I ate healthy all the time did you?) and I shudder to think what it could have added up to.

However, rather than grumbling over the glass half empty, I'll raise my glass half full in a toast to J. Money on Saturday night when I have plans that will be earning me a bit of college funds!

Note: If any of you all know me, you have already figured out where I am talking about. The other place that I'm thinking of will give you Upromise dollars on your half priced wine on Sunday nights. If you are thinking of going back to school or have a niece or nephew who might be, go sign up! Or you can always feel free to sign up on my account and help me get my degree.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How did we not know this?!

Saturday AND Sunday will now be not just fun, but productive!

Dawn said...

I KNOW!! Catie, can you believe it? 4% on Saturday and 8% on Sundays. Crazy!!

Get thee signed up woman - I know you have college course you want to take! And now, every glass of wine you tip can contribute.

Anonymous said...

I wonder how I can get my family to sign up on an account for me hmmm... good idea.

Dawn said...

It looks like they can each do their own account and make you the beneficiary. That might make it easier.

Kari said...

Thanks for the tip Dawn, see we do learn something new each day. I file this in the new frugality tips.

Also I gave you an award at my orginal blog ;) Here it is: http://not-so-normal-girl.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-got-award.html

Dawn said...

Hi Kari!! Thanks so much!

I love learning new things. It is one of those things that never fails to make me happy.

Anonymous said...

haha, hooray!! keep spreading the love and earn those dollars :) glad you and your readers are signing up!

Dawn said...

J. Money - earned me some dollars Saturday night. Okay... not dollars exactly, more like $.68, but it is a start!!