Monday, August 18, 2008

Mystery Shopping as Nonpassive Income

So, I tried something new Friday.... Mystery Shopping. Sing along with me won't you? "Sec-ret A-gent Man! Sec-ret A-gent Man!"

I've been wanting to do it for awhile, but haven't had the right opportunity. Several bloggers that I read have made money being a Secret Shopper, so awhile ago I signed up with a few different Mystery Shopping Companies. The last couple of months I have been watching for a good assignment. Being a Secret Agent, errr.... Mystery Shopper requires some level of work. You need to apply for the job, look for assignments, apply for assignments, then go to the location and do the secret shopping, then you have to come back and report in. It isn't all having a good time and getting a check - and the reports aren't just a quick paragraph you can whip off your word processor - they are pretty detailed. So, this kind of work is "dollars for hours" - in other words non passive income = genuine work. Many of the types of assignments I saw were for bars (To see if you got carded. To do these you either need to be 24-27, which I am not, or bring a guest who is.), restaurants, banks and car dealerships. Frankly, I wanted something easy to start with. That is just the kind of gal I am - I like to stick a big toe in the waters first before committing. I chose a restaurant for my first assignment.

I don't know if it is just because of the area I live in or what, but there haven't been a lot of assignments I wanted in my hometown - most were on the east side of the state. Finally I found one though that was right across the street from where I work, didn't require me to be 24 and was the kind of work I like - eating lunch. I applied for it, and was accepted.

Now, this particular one doesn't actually pay anything (though many of them do,) it simply reimburses you up to $20 for lunch. Again, because this was my first go at it, that sounded pretty good. I grabbed a friend of mine* and we headed off to lunch. It was great having a friend along. He helped me time the server and he helped me remember things I might have missed.

When I got back to the office I completed my report and sent it, and my receipt (I spent $20.10 - way to use up my whole reimbursement!) into the website. Now I wait. I will be curious to see how this all turns out. If it goes well, I'll try some other assignments - and, of course, let you know how it goes!

...oh, in case you were wondering - the restaurant in question was awesome! Food was geat and service was exceptional - maybe Mystery Shopping works!

More Stuff to Check Out:

My Life as a Mystery Shopper

Mystery Shopping Myths Tips and Facts

Secret Shopper Scams

What is NonPassive Income?



*Hi Philip!

Photo by movimente

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dawn - I look forward to reading up on your mystery shopping experiences. I have always been interested in it but never signed up.

Dawn said...

You got it! I will definitely keep writing about it!