Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Accepting GIfts of Charity

MasterYourCard had a great post on Friday on Gifts vs. Charity: The Fine Line. Boy, do I understand where the woman in her article is coming from! Financially hurt by divorce and dealing with life's emergencies - and not wanting to borrow from mom. Both my mother and my sister have offered me financial assistance if I should need it. I haven't taken it, and I hope I never have to. Part of it, of course, is the unwillingness to take charity, but the other part is simply that I see them as my safety net.

As I have talked about in this blog before, when I realized the situation I was in, one of the first things I did was sit down and make a big list of things I could do to raise money. Then I went through that list and ranked them from easiest "no-brainers" to "ugh! I don't wanna." Borrowing from mom and sis is definitely on the "ugh! I don't wanna" list. But here's the thing, I always know I can, and that's important. It means that if all else fails, no matter what, I always have a fallback plan. I can't tell you how much that helps - just that knowledge alone helps me sleep better. And even though "I don't wanna" you can bet if the times comes, I will.

You know, in the past four months or so I've been on this journey, I have changed my mind about a lot of charity. There was a time when I wouldn't take anything, even advice, from anyone. I've gotten over that. My friends and family have been so unbelievably generous in so, so many ways.

Even people I wouldn't expect have helped me - friends' parents and family I haven't talked in years. It isn't so much money, but other things - I've talked here about free plants, food and other things I've been given. Others have offered me items to sell on eBay, Amazon and Half. Here's a fun example - my aunt was at a dollar store and found padded envelopes, the nice big ones I use for shipping books - at 6 for $1. She bought $42 worth! Which turned out to be four huge garbage bag sized bags full of envelopes! I can just imagine her trying to get them in the back of her car. How wonderful is that?

On top of all that, I have also been sent cards and emails, and gotten phone calls of support. People send me articles they have read that might help me, other friends have taken me out or invite me to their homes for wine and conversation. Every friend I have has helped me in one way or another, and you know what? I don't feel bad about accepting their charity - not at all. Instead I feel like one of the most loved people on planet earth. I thank the stars every day that I am so fortunate to have such good people in my life.


Read More:

My How to Save and Earn More Money List

8 Tips to Help You Fight Foreclosure (where I talk about how I made my list.)

Sometimes You Just Have to Say "Yes."

Frugal Landscaping - Free Plants!



This incredibly appropriate photo is by: Marquette La

No comments: