Monday, July 27, 2009

The Week of the Garage Sale

I think this is the first week I have gone without posting since the start of my blog! Sorry about the interruption in service there, I was busy trying to make money by having a garage sale. Make no mistake about it, having garage sales are a ton of work. I made almost $200, which was fabulous, but I would hate to calculate my return per hour spent on planning, setting up, cleaning and manning the sale. That's why it is worth it to have some other benefits built in to the event...

1. I got to spend time with some of my favorite people in the world! M
y sister came over sign making night and we got to hang out and then I had several dear friends help set up, help man the sale and sometimes just stop by to hang out and chat. It was fabulous!

2. I got to meet a lot of my neighbors. As I wrote about recently, I have been just starting to meet the folks in my area. I don't consider myself much a social person, but there are real advantages to getting to know the folks who live nearby. One neighbor wants me to let her know when I have my next sale, since she will try to have one at the same time and we can double our signs and other efforts and hopefully get more folks to the sales. Another neighbor offered to lend a hand with one of my house projects. Another gentleman stopped by who used to live in my house back in the 80s. He was a lot of fun to talk to!

3. I cleaned out my garage. I hadn't realized how badly my garage needed a cleaning until I went to have this sale. It was pretty bad! I swept it all out and moved out all the lawn equipment to another spot for the sale. Now I am going to use this as an opportunity to reorganize as I put it back in.

4. It was an ego boost. I got so many wonderful compliments from so many folks on my house and garden. Since I am still in process of getting the house painted and getting the yard in shape, it was so, so nice to hear people letting me know that they liked what I was doing. I live in one of those "edge" neighborhoods. It has some beautiful homes, but also some rough looking ones. There are a lot of rentals, and while some are well cared for, some aren't. It is definitely an up and coming neighborhood, but there is still some "up" to go. I got the feeling that neighbors definitely appreciated the work I've been doing, which was nice.

5. We moved out a lot of "stuff." Most of my items were priced at $2.00 and under, so to make $200, I had to sell a lot of my former treasures. (Well, a lot of it was also my mother and sister's who both generously donated their stuff to the sale and said I could keep the money that was made from it.) Some of the things I sold were from my marriage, and it was great to see objects that bring me pain going to good homes and people who were exited about having them.

So, that is what I have been up to all week. I'll try to write a Fighting Foreclosure/Getting Nine Hundred Guide to Garage Sales later this week. In the meantime, I need to catch up on my blog reading!



Photo by: lesleyraez

15 comments:

Lucy said...

$200 is a nice tidy profit for a yard sale--congrats!

Dawn said...

Thanks! I was pretty happy with it!

Dr. Faith said...

Great work! And it is awesome that you got to meet more of your neighbors. =)

Did the guy who used to live in your house ask to go inside? I want terribly to go to the house that I grew up in (for 13 years) and ask to see what it looks like now, but am pretty sure that isn't a cool thing to do. ;)

Dawn said...

He didn't ask, although if he had, I might have given him a walking tour. I gave other neighbors later that night a tour. As long as the house is prepared for visitors and I am along with them on the tour, I don't mind. If someone were to just ask out of the blue it might be weird though. It's a odd situation. Personally though, I like learning things about the house.

Simplelivin' said...

Wow, awesome job!!! Gotta love all the benefits of a yard sale :-)

Dawn said...

Thanks! Yep.. the rewards are a fat roll of one dollar bills and a big sack of quarters. Gotta love our cheap prices!

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

I totally agree, its not just about the money. It has load of benefits! I did a baby and kids table top sale, which probably likewise cost a lot of hours. But in terms of getting rid of clutter, feeling like I was part of the community and recycling a load of stuff - it was great. I also helped a load of other people recycle / get rid of their baby clutter for cash too. And a load of expectant mothers got a load of baby equipment that had mostly hardly been used for bargain prices. And my friend made a load of money selling cakes and tea. win win win win

Zoya said...

So nice to have you back :)
Congratulations with the experience and success :)

Miss M said...

I don't do garage sales just cause the amount of work vs payoff isn't enough. As a homeowner I can usually net the same in write off from donating the items (since you only net pennies for items worth several dollars with a garage sale). Good luck with your next one $200 is a great start.

Dawn said...

Getting Stuff Done - exactly! There was a nice sense of community about the whole thing.

Angelica - Thank you so, so much!

Dawn said...

Miss M - I donate too. In fact in year's past I have taken everything that hasn't sold, loaded it up, and dropped it off at the charity later that day. This time I am holding off because we are planning a second sale. I like the write offs too, but the truth is, I could use the cash now, rather than the tax break in April, ya' know? But you are right - to do it well, garage sales are a lot of work.

Divorced Lifestyle said...

I missed you! I'm glad you made some money.

Dawn said...

Divorced Lifestyle - Thanks!! Me too.

Jessie said...

Hurrah! Way to get $200!!

Dawn said...

Thanks Jessie! I was pretty pleased with it myself.