Friday, May 15, 2009

Feeling a Bit Financially Depressed

It happens.

It seems like every couple of months or so I have a few days where I start feeling depressed about money. and this is one of those days. I'm not sure why, but the last couple of days I have felt really sad about my financial situation. Fighting foreclosure seems like a heavy weight to carry.

I guess that sometimes I just get tired. Most of the time finding new ways to earn money, scrimping, saving, and being frugal is fun. I see it like a game - how much can I save here? How much can earn this month? What will it take to get my nine hundred dollars? But, like any game, there are times when it gets tiring.

Part of it might be that I just paid one quarter of the cost to get my house painted. He finished one side this week, so I wrote him a fairly large check and along with it, another check for supplies for side 2. Seeing all that hard earned money go out of my hands that quickly, it hurts a little. Don't get me wrong, I am incredibly happy with the work that was done - it is 100% better than what it was, I just hate paying for it, you know? Even though I feel I am getting a good deal, it still sucks to write that check.

Still, I have to keep in mind that there are good things coming up...

While it is true that I don't have a whole lot of outside work lined up right now, (there will be some part time work at the end of this month and first part of next, but that is it for the summer) this is the start of "pay off time." My last and final car payment is set to go out in 6 days! That is going to feel soooooo good. The last credit card payment is not far behind. Once that is done, all consumer debt will be completely gone! On top of all that, a friend of mine dropped off a box of books for me recently and I have been working on getting those online. Hopefully that will breathe some life into my online book sales.

I've got some weekend plans for tonight and tomorrow evening, but the rest of the weekend is looking pretty free. I think I am going to try to relax and work in the yard. I want to spend some time in the kitchen as well - so time for gardening and cooking, two of my favorite things. I'll be seeing friends Saturday night, so that will help too.

I don't think I have much in the way of money I have to spend, so hopefully I can kick this case of the money blues this weekend by just taking it easy and doing things that make me happy. Barring that, I'll just rob a bank.

(Kidding!)


Photo by: Orfield Photography

13 comments:

Fede said...

It is perfectly normal to have those days, l get them too. I am so overwhelmed by it all sometimes that l just want to twitch my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and just have it all go away. When that happens, l just let it wash over me, and mope around for a day or so and feel completely sorry for myself ! Then l get my ipod and go for a long walk listening to music by my favorite singers (the ones that never fail to make me happy!). It goes away pretty soon after that.. Hang in there..

laura said...

Hi Dawn. I think this is a natural feeling for us all when we're trying to do all that we're doing; this will pass and you'll feel even more motivated when it does.

You're doing so well and you continue to inspire me every week :)

Kari said...

I feel this way often times. Sometimes I wonder if blogging about it all the time makes it worse or better.

I think its great you talk about it here though, makes me feel less alone about it all.

Oh and I have a question about how you store your books and find them when one sells (your organization).

I'd love to see a post on that sometime! I was thinking of asking my mom if I could use a portion of her basement for a bookshelf and starting to do this. I have way way way too many books and garage sale season is upon us. I think this is an easy way to earn money while I'm out of school for the summer.

J. Money said...

YES! things will most DEFINITELY go up :) just a rollercoaster sometimes as you already know...and i love it that you had to add that (kidding!) part at the end. haha...guess you never can be to careful these days.

HowtoBEaCOOLoldLady said...

these days happen. they too will pass! And someone once wrote, somewhere, be thankful for those bills, as they show how you have the ability to pay em. I love your monthly challenge to find the 900 and find it inspiring. And just think, you are not just fighting foreclosure, but tackling the monsters of house falling apart! the house needs painting just as much as the mortgage needs paying. you are just upping your game.

Diana said...

I feel like that every day. I am only 21 and my debt is over 50 grand for "good" things like school and car...but why is it so hard? I guess its the way our country is run-the more you earn the more is taken...huh? well the way I save money is kinda pathetic but it works. Every penny I find around the house or get from change in a grocery store, I keep and put away for later, then I exchange that for cash,and hey-I got gas money or coffee money.. I also make cofee at home and take it to anywhere I go instead of buying it...Try cupons for food and cheaper stores. I was always kinda skeptic about cheaper stores but they have good stuff there and thats nothing to be ashamed of...Good Luck, I know its hard!

Bouncing Back said...

I think we just hit a wall at times when it comes to the financial game. Like you said, you do all you can do and then you just get tired. You spend all this time earning money to pay down debt, save for that new paint job, etc, and the result can be very anti-climatic.

Hopefully, with the summer coming you can spend more time doing the things you love-cooking and gardening and giving yourself a boost!

Catie said...

I know that feeling well - I have it myself right now! Stupid roof. But honestly, Dawn, you seem to have money blues so much less often than one would think!! And I am so excited that your debt is almost G-O-N-E and you will be looking at a whole new situation! That ought to breathe new fun into the game.

Dawn said...

Kemkem - "l just want to twitch my nose like Samantha on Bewitched and just have it all go away." Amen! That was exactly how I was feeling. You are right though, I know these feelings don't last.

Laura - Thank you so much for that lovely compliment! I am so glad that I can help.

Kari - Blogging is great for me. It gets it out and off my chest, rather than circling around in my brain making me feel worse. I will be happy to share my book selling organization strategies! I'll have to take a couple photos so you can really see it.

Dawn said...

J. Money - I know! I suddenly had this feeling someone would turn me in to the local police and the next time a bank got knocked over, they'd be pounding on my door!

Getting things done - I loved this "tackling the monsters of house falling apart." So true!! I know that these feelings are fairly cyclical - it seems like they hit every 6 weeks to 2 months. Fortunately a lot of time outside and time spent with good friends helped move it on along.

Dawn said...

Diana - Thanks for your good wishes! I am an avid coupon user - it is a rare occasion when I even enter a store with a coupon (or twenty) in hand! Spare change adds up too - I have a change jar that is filling up nicely.

Bouncing Back - "Hitting the way" - exactly. That is just how I was feeling. I tired occasionally, but I hope you are right - gardening and cooking this summer would be a great way to pick my spirits up.

Catie - Gosh, thank you so much! I feel like I whine about it all the time. By the way, I agree - stupid roof, stupid house painting. :)

Kristy @ Master Your Card said...

When you're working to get out of consumer debt, it's natural to have days where you feel a little down. It sounds like you've been here before, so you know the feeling will pass. You're doing all the right things to get where you want to be - and you certainly have more stamina then I ever had while working to get out of debt - so I think your day will come before you know it.

What's great about you is that you're able to make your situation like a game, speaking of the different ways you try to bring in income. You show people it can be done and it doesn't necessarily have to drive them to an early grave. In short, you inspire people. Not everyone can say the same thing.

I'm sorry you're feeling down - and that I'm so late in commenting on this - but I hope you feel better soon! Summer is just around the corner and it's a time for fun! Enjoy your gardening and cooking, and be thankful you're healthy enough to do all that you do! Good things will come!

Dawn said...

Kristy - thank you so, so much for your kind words. It did indeed pass, as we both knew it would.

You know what though? i am really tired of being in this situation. So, I try to make it as entertaining as I can and not stress out too much, but at the same time, the sheer determination I have never to be in this spot again is a big part of what keeps me moving forward.